Release notes here.
Reminder: to play the beta, you MUST go into your Steam properties for the game, go under the Betas tab, and choose the “current_beta” option. Otherwise you’re going to be stuck on the pre-fleets version of the game.
If you don’t know what I’m talking about regarding fleets, then reading this link is a really good thing to do or you are likely to be mighty confused.
So what’s new in this build? This is obviously an incremental one, headed towards the non-beta full release of 0.900 that we’re aiming at in the next… weeks? That timeframe is unclear, and will be based on testing feedback, which has been rolling in well so far; but there will be loads of incremental beta releases during this period. Anyway, what’s new:
- This one makes the AI way harder by fixing a variety of bugs and adding a variety of new behaviors. Thanks, Badger!
- The galaxy map bloom is less, and can be tweaked now.
- A flagship of yours getting crippled actually has some consequences now.
- Your energy going negative now causes construction to halt, and anything that you don’t have the energy to run can be STARTED in construction but won’t actually complete.
- Wow the amount of balance changes here, particularly to AI stuff. Here was Puffin’s side of things to make things feel more balanced with the higher-tech stuff that players now have available all the time. The AI wasn’t keeping up!
- Puffin also adjusted a lot of your flagships to be stronger now than they were, but it depends on the type.
- Economic command stations can now have multiple energy collectors again, which is a pretty big deal now that you need energy properly!
- A variety of bugfixes from Badger and WeaponMaster really clean up a number of annoying issues or strange galaxy seeds.
- I spent a goodly while trying to fix the lobby, and made a few things mildly better, but didn’t really fix it. I’ve got a much better idea of how to redo it from scratch (which was already planned), though, now. I guess I’m doing that sooner than planned!
- I’m in much better health now, thanks to everyone who was asking after me — that meant a lot.
More to come soon. Enjoy!
Problem With The Latest Build?
If you right-click the game in Steam and choose properties, then go to the Betas tab of the window that pops up, you’ll see a variety of options. You can always choose most_recent_stable from that build to get what is essentially one-build-back. Or two builds back if the last build had a known problem, etc. Essentially it’s a way to keep yourself off the very bleeding edge of updates, if you so desire.
The Usual Reminders
Quick reminder of our new Steam Developer Page. If you follow us there, you’ll be notified about any game releases we do.
Also: Would you mind leaving a Steam review for some/any of our games? It doesn’t have to be much more detailed than a thumbs up, but if you like a game we made and want more people to find it, that’s how you make it happen. Reviews make a material difference, and like most indies, we could really use the support.