Release notes here.
Release Date For 1.0 Coming Up!
We’re closing in on an official date for launch of 1.0! At this point we’re tentatively thinking October 22nd, which would be the 10 year anniversary of AI War Classic arriving on Steam. I suddenly feel very old, thinking about how large a span of time that is; when I was younger I remember thinking the gap in time between Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander was unthinkable, but that was… literally also a 10 year gap.
So that date seems very fitting, and it seems like a good spot in the market, and it seems like it would give us enough time to get all our ducks in a row as far as 1.0 being fully up to snuff goes.
Note that this isn’t 1000% firm of a date yet, so this isn’t a full announcement, but it’s a heads up.
Now… About This Actual Release?
- There are actual ship graphics now for 35 new ships and structures that were just using repeat stuff. This has been on my todo list since May 2018, so that’s a pretty big win. Huge thanks to Puffin for making this go so much faster.
- There’s another batch of ship graphics almost as large coming this week still, plus the macrophage and parasites need some more work out of this current batch, and there’s a whole host of improvements to the planet visuals in the backgrounds coming this week, too. Then we can start taking final trailer footage and final screenshots, hopefully.
- The balance of the Dark Spire has been adjusted a TON, to make it so that they are less likely to come kick your butt for reasons unrelated to you actually doing badly. There were too many little side things that you had no control over that were feeding the Vengeance Generators energy, but no longer. Thanks to Badger for solving this, and as he put it, “thanks to NRSirLimbo for a spirited lament.” In seriousness from both of us, it’s exactly the sort of thing we need when it comes to factions and whatever other sort of balance.
- The tech unlock hack no longer charges you science, which was a whoopsie. Thanks to WeaponMaster for fixing that!
- Badger has also been working on the Intel menu, working adding color and so forth to make that more readable and less overwhelming.
- Queued wormhole orders can also now be seen on the galaxy map in the style of AIWC… although this seems to have uncovered an actual bug with queued wormhole orders themselves, so any reports that can help us find a way to repro that and nail that bug are appreciated.
More to come soon. Enjoy!
Problem With The Latest Build?
If you right-click the game in Steam and choose properties, then go to the Betas tab of the window that pops up, you’ll see a variety of options. You can always choose most_recent_stable from that build to get what is essentially one-build-back. Or two builds back if the last build had a known problem, etc. Essentially it’s a way to keep yourself off the very bleeding edge of updates, if you so desire.
The Usual Reminders
Quick reminder of our new Steam Developer Page. If you follow us there, you’ll be notified about any game releases we do.
Also: Would you mind leaving a Steam review for some/any of our games? It doesn’t have to be much more detailed than a thumbs up, but if you like a game we made and want more people to find it, that’s how you make it happen. Reviews make a material difference, and like most indies, we could really use the support.